Don't let your dog miss out on the pumpkin craze, especially since pumpkin puree is known to be good for a dog's digestion and stomach. Here are 4 easy and healthy recipes that your dog will love. Sip on your pumpkin latte while they scarf down their pumpkin treats!
With all the recipes below, make sure you use pure pumpkin puree and not the cans for pumpkin pie that have added ingredients.
*As always, please consult your veterinarian if your dog has specific dietary needs.
PUMPKIN & PEANUT BUTTER TREAT
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 tbsp natural peanut butter. Avoid peanut butter that contains xylitol.
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Mix together eggs, pumpkin puree, flour, salt and peanut butter. Cinnamon is optional.
Add a little bit of water to help moisten the ingredients, as you knead the dough. Only add a tablespoon or so as you go. You want the dough to be dry and have thick consistency.
Flour your countertop and roll the dough out to be about a ½ inch thick. Use your cookie cutters to cut out individual treats and place on a greased baking sheet.
If you have dough left after cutting out the first batch of treats, knead and roll out the left over dough to make some more.
Bake for about 35 minutes or until hard.
- Serve to your dog once the treats completely cool off!
PUMPKIN BANANA TREAT
- 3 cups whole wheat flour + extra for dusting counter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of pumpkin puree
- 1 banana, mashed
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix eggs, banana, and pumpkin together. Add flour and mix until all the flour is incorporated.
- Lightly dust the counter and a rolling pin with flour, then roll out dough and cut out treats with your favorite cookie cutter.
- Lay on a greased baking sheet and bake for approximately 20 minutes.
- Serve to your dog once the treats cool off completely!
PUMPKIN YOGURT FROZEN TREAT
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- Mix the pumpkin puree and yogurt together in a bowl
- Divide the mixture evenly into an ice tray or molds
- Freeze for 24 hours
- Pop the treats out of the mold and serve to your dog.
PUMPKIN APPLESAUCE PEANUT BUTTER TREAT
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 3 tbsp peanut butter. Avoid peanut butter that contains xylitol.
- 1 eggs
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Using a stand or hand mixer, beat together the pumpkin puree, applesauce, peanut butter, and egg.
Mix in the whole wheat flour, salt, and baking soda. Beat until just combined and then roll out dough on a floured surface. Knead the dough together.
Cut the cookies using your favorite cookie cutter and place on a greased baking sheet.
Bake in the oven for 15-25 minutes.
Serve to your dog once the treat completely cools off!