As many of you know, welcoming new dogs into our homes has been on the rise since COVID-19 began. Our friends over at Breed Advisor have put together a comprehensive guide for new dog owners. Below's a snippet of their guide, but head over to their site to get the full download!
The step-by-step guide covers everything you need to know about training your new furry friend including:
- Common dog training myths
- Helpful training tips
- Basic commands
- Common mistakes novice dog owners make
- Additional tips for navigating life with a canine
We found their 13 Expert-Approved General Dog Training Tips to be particularly helpful.
- Schedule short training sessions each day
- Start with your dog's name
- Get to know your pup to personalize your training program
- Offer plenty of praise
- Don't overemphasize bad behavior
- Be consistent
- Address your dog's behavior right away
- Pay attention to your dog's body language
- Invest in various types of chew toys
- Give you canine space '
- Set realistic expectations
- Make training a collaborative effort
- Determine how much food your canine needs
Want to learn more and view some helpful videos? Head over to Breed Advisor.